formed as PC Helicopter Corp. in 1946, the Gyrodyne Company of
America (GCA) was best known for its co-axial helicopters.
The company's XRON-1 Rotorcycle was evaluated by the Marines which
led to the mass-produced QH-50 pilotless anti-submarine helicopter.
The cancellation of the QH-50 program in 1970
changed Gyrodyne from a manufacturer to a support organization for
existing QH-50s used at NAS China Lake and White Sands Missile
Gyrodyne closed its doors in 2004. The last
QH-50 flight was made in 2006.