Stuff You Can Buy
 
 
 
Other Stuff
 
 

Junkers Flugzeugwerke

Aircraft The Company
 
First
Flight
Model Military Number Name
1931 Ju 52/3m    

Dr. Hugo Junkers designed his first aircraft, with a thick-section cantilever wing as early as 1910.  Although it was never built, the first Junkers aircraft, the J1 of 1915, used the same wing design.  The J4 (military designation J.1) of 1917 also included corrugated light-alloy skin--a feature that would distinguish Junkers products into the 1930s.

Junkers Flugzeugwerke concentrated on transport aircraft in the 1920s and early 1930s, switching to bombers and transports as the Luftwaffe expanded in the late 1930s.  In 1923, Junkers Motorenbau (Jumo) was formed.  Junkers Flugzeugwerke and Motorenbau merged in 1936 to form Junkers Flugzeug und Motorenwerke (IFM).

Probably the most famous Junker aircraft are the Ju 52 tri-motor transport, the Ju 87 Stuka dive bomber and the Ju 88 "Schnell" bomber.

In 1945, most Junkers assets were in what became East Germany and disappeared into the Soviet Union.  What remained of Junkers in West Germany was privatized in 1956 and acquired by Messerschmitt AG in 1965.

 
Related Websites
 
The Hugo Junkers Homepage
 

page updated 07 March 2003

 

 

Use of photographs | References  | Disclaimer | Privacy

 
   

Apple iTunes

free counters

   

Kenneth W Shanaberger 2000 - 2010