Piper joined the board of directors of the Taylor Bros. Aircraft Co.
in the early 1920s and by 1929 was the principal investor.
In 1937, a fire in the original factory in
Bradford, Pennsylvania forced a move to Lock Haven. The
company was renamed the The Piper Aircraft Corporation.
Piper's modified Taylor Cub, the Piper J-3 Cub is
probably Piper's most famous aircraft.
After World War II, Piper expanded into twin
engine business aircraft and established an R&D facility at
Vero Beach, Florida.
The 1980s saw many general aviation manufacturers
with piston-engine aircraft production and Piper went out of business
in 1990. The New Piper Aircraft, Inc. was formed in
1995 using the assets of the old Piper company.
Piper acquires the Stinson Division of Consolidated Vultee.